Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ecological Footprint/Reflection #3

          My ecological footprint states that if everyone on the planet lived my lifestyle, we would need 5.64 earths to withstand our living habits. I found this crazy after taking the quiz because I always thought of myself as definitely not an environmentalist but someone that actually took consideration of the environment and the wear and tear it takes. This obviously proved me wrong and made me realize that some big changes in my life and others could be made to conserve energy and the earth's resources.
          Everyone on earth needs to start recycling anything and everything they can. Recycled products are great to use as building materials and take up 1/100 of the space. Besides recycling, we can try to just cut down on the products we use. Refill a water bottle many times before throwing it away or bring go green bags to the grocery store with you.
         Small things besides recycling could be done to help our earth not have to work so hard to provide for us. Plant and care for your own garden, change your lightbulbs to ones that conserve energy, un-plug appliances that are not in use, change your water faucets, and now you can even change your windows to windows that let more light in so lightbulbs do not have to be used so much.
         I honestly feel like there are so many things we as people can do to help our earth out and it's crazy to me that we aren't. I decided after we had our class discussion and I took this ecological footprint quiz to make a goal to use a waterbottle at least 3 times before throwing it away. I know that is small change in my life but I feel like I may be able to influence others and make a difference :)

No comments:

Post a Comment