Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cultural Activity #2 - Mamma Mia



1.      I attended the musical Mamma Mia. It was performed in the capital theatre downtown performed I’m pretty sure by a Broadway group that travels around.
2.      This play is about a young woman and her mother who lives on a small island and run a hotel/inn. The young woman gets engaged and decides that she wants to invite her father to the wedding; the only problem is that neither she nor her mother knew who her father was. In the mothers journal there were three possible fathers that were named and so she started off with those and sent them invitations to her wedding because she believed that when she saw the man that was her father, she would know. She did this behind her mother’s back so it ends up being really funny when they all show up to her wedding and her mom has no idea they are there and freaks out when she sees all her old boyfriends again in her hotel/inn. The young woman ends up never finding out who her dad is because unlike she thought, she couldn’t tell who it was. Her mom ends up marrying one of her old boyfriends and so he kind of becomes the woman’s father and she finally feels complete and happily gets married.
3.      I would definitely say that this was a high quality performance. The singers had absolutely amazing voices, made me feel like they were really the characters they were playing, their costumes we colorful and fun, it followed the story line well but had a couple of twists different from the movie that surprised me, had a good mix of fast and slow songs, had a great meaning, and then the lighting and look of the whole thing was fantastic too. I left the building feeling uplifted, hyper, and in a singing mood. Mistakes wise I think they still did a great job, I think in one of the songs the girl was off pitch but it actually made it better in my mind because it reminded me that these are real people who make mistakes. It made it relatable in a way and made me grateful for how hard they do work not to have more mistakes. I loved the performance and have thought about going to see it again in another location many times.

4.       It was hard to find any information on the artists, composers, or others connected with this performance because like I mentioned earlier me and my parents are not really sure what company performed. We went to this musical a little over a year ago and so I remember details about the plot of the play and how much I liked it but I have no way of knowing anything about the company that put on the production. You said it was okay to use a musical we went to in the past and so that’s why I don’t have those specific details that you want.
5.      My reaction to this performance was pure joy. I left leaving the best mood and feeling uplifted and inspired. The music in this musical I think is what mainly did it to me. The music was really fun and brought the characters together. All the music from this performance was old songs from the singing group ABBA; Honey Honey, Dancing Queen, Take a Chance on Me, and Does Your Mother Know. These songs are very uplifting and full of energy. Another reason I really liked this musical is because I feel they didn’t drag it out two and three hours long. It was a nice hour and half-length performance which made me want more when it ended. I was actually quite sad when it ended and wanted them to come out and have a secret ending or something but I think that’s honestly what has made me want to go back. They didn’t drag it out to the point I was bored and not wanting to see the musical ever again, they gave me enough to be excited I came but still made me want to go back and get a little bit more. It was very tasteful and entertained me.
6.      I would definitely recommend this performance to other people to go see because of all the reasons I have already mentioned. The acting and singing was phenomenal, the musical itself was spiced up with special details left out in the move, the costumes caught your eye, the songs were upbeat and fun for the most part but It also had some slow songs that made you feel some real emotion, and it was the perfect length. I feel like most people hate musicals in general because they are so long. They like them for the first hour or so but then get bored of them and leave with a negative attitude. Anyone would have liked this performance because it was short and to the point but still detailed enough to give you your money’s worth.

7.      I would thoroughly enjoy seeing that exact performance/musical again or another production put on by the same company of actors. I would like to see what other kind of stuff they could do and see if they had enough talent to mix up the actors and put them in different character roles to bring our other individuals talents. This musical saved me from hating musicals all around. It made me want to go see more musicals or plays because finding one that you really like are worth sitting through a couple bad ones. I thoroughly enjoyed this performance and have gained a love and respect for musicals and the performers that are in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment