Friday, May 25, 2012

The Male Privilege Checklist - Peggy McIntosh

  • "Taught to see racism only in individual acts of meanness, not in invisible systems conferring dominance on my group." (pg. 536) - The first thing I think of when i hear the word racism is acts of meaness & violence not ineqaulity or segregation so I agree with this statment.
  • "Pointing out that men are privileged in no way denies that bad things happen to men." (pg. 536) - There are pros and cons to everything in life. Every gender, race, career, family situation, ect.
  • "In the end, however, it is men and not women who make the most money; men and not women who dominate the government and the corporate boards; men and not women who dominate virtually all of the most powerful positions of society." (pg. 536) - This comment is definitely 100% false. It made me mad when I read it but I realized that it was written in a different time period than I live in. Back in older times it was true that men had more dominance over women. Now the tables have turned though and woman are completely equal to men and usually make just as much money.
Male Privilege Checklist
  • "I am far less likely to face sexual harassment at work than my female co-workers are." (pg. 536) - I agree with this completely. Statistics can prove that women are more prone to sexual abuse/harrassment than men.
  • "If I do the same task as a woman, and if the measurement is at all subjective, chances are people will think I did a better job." (pg. 536) - I disagree 100%. I do not believe that gender decides your talents.
  • "Even if I sleep with a lot of women, there is no chance that I will be seriously labeled a "slut," nor is there any male counterpart to "slut-bashing."" (pg. 537) - AGREED!! It is unfair that guys get away with sleeping around. I don't think that sleeping around should be accepted among any gender but it is extremely unfair that men can get away with it and women can't. Almost girl at my school is considered a "slut" but not one guy is.
  • "I can be loud with no fear of being called a shrew. I can be aggressive with no fear of being called a bitch." (pg. 537) - I disagree. I feel that in general most guys have huge egos and so they think that when they are loud and aggressive that no one gets upset or judges them for it. Guys have a talent of thinking that everyone loves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment