Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Selected Poems - Langston Hughes


My favorite poem out of all these poems is definitely I, Too. I love that he brings up the point that he is American too; white or black skin doesn’t determine who is American. He brings pride to his race in this poem I think by sticking up for himself and showing that he believes in himself enough to say he deserves being able to represent America. This poem also brings hope when he says “Tomorrow, I’ll be at the table when company comes. Nobody’ll dare say to me, eat in the kitchen, then.” He brings hope for a day when segregation and racism won’t be around anymore. It made me think about how great a day like that would be. I have many friends who are darker skinned, always have, and for some reason some people still to this day are not okay with it. I find it ridiculous. They are great people and are born with amazing culture engrained with in them that I have always seemed to be drawn to. I would love for a day to come when my friends are completely treated as equal as I am; they deserve it.

 I also wanted to add in this response how much I loved a comment that Mitch Bagley made. He said something along the lines of how racism is only around because people let it be around and talk about it. I agree with that completely. It happened in the past and because it’s talked about some people still let it happen today; they are afraid of change. I think almost forgetting about slavery might be helpful so that as a country and world we can move on from it and better ourselves. The huge issues with racism are diminishing and now I think moving on is the best solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment